Wind and Rain and Flooding...Oh My!

   This past week every radio and news station has only covered Hurricane Florence and the devastation she left in her path. We have family out in Wilmington, where surges and flooding destroyed businesses and homes. Trees were pulled from their roots and crushed houses and cars. Our family is safe but others had to be rescued by boat as they watched their entire lives be swallowed by water.
   Because I live near the South Carolina border and Charlotte, we didn't get as much damage as the coastal cities, but we got a hell of a lot of rain. My office was closed on Friday as well as schools, thinking it was going to start then but it was just the beginning of the gloomy clouds and overcast skies that controlled the weekend. The rain didn't start until the middle of the night.
   What do you do when you have three dogs, an eleven year old boy, and can't go outside? Well, we cooked breakfast and dinner. He beat me at Clue, Sorry, and Monopoly. I didn't let him win either, I went around that Sorry board five times trying to get me last piece into home before his! I cleaned the house and did laundry. All in preparation for the loss of power, which never came.
  Our basement did flood, though. I have cracks in my foundation that if we tried to fix, it would cost a lot of money and ruin our yard and house. Because of this, when it rains over a long period of time water comes into the basement that we have to sweep into the pump. Hurricane Florence put up her best effort, but it was less than we have had from bad thunderstorms.
   Growing up in Florida, I have lived through hurricanes. We went to school in tropical depressions and had hurricane parties when they came through. My hometown was in the trajectory path a lot. I remember watching as hurricane Charley was coming straight at us. My parents, brothers, and I were hunkered down with mattresses and pillows in the living room since it was going to hit in the middle of the night. Charley turned at the very last minute, destroying Port Charlotte an hour North of us. We had a tree come down and ruin our screened in porch. Wind blew out a window on the side of the house. It's hard to board it up from the inside when the wind is blow so hard against you. Power was out for weeks.
   I watched the news from North Carolina as Hurricane Irma came straight for Florida. My cousins, aunt and uncle, and grandparents waited too long to evacuate and were all riding the storm out together in our grandparents house. The entire time I was texting my cousin to make sure everyone was okay. All survived in one piece as did their houses. We were so thankful and lucky, only a few trees down and an overflowing pool and pond.
   If there is one thing you learn from going through storms that can't be controlled, it's that your materialistic things can be replaced. The fancy car and house, the furniture and TV. All of it can be replaced and upgraded, but your loved ones can't. You hold on to those closest to you, hoping and praying everything will be okay and everyone walks out of the other side. Material items can be bought again, your family cannot. The community rallies together and takes care of those in need. You help neighbors cut down branches and move them off of house and out of yards, while others give water and food to those who lost everything. At the end of the day, you get to be with the ones you love the most. That is something that can never be replaced.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things That Go Bump in The Night

The Keto Diet...

Girls Weekend in Tennessee