My First UGA Game

   I am a huge University of Georgia fan. Like die-hard, never miss a game fan. My mom grew up in Georgia and we watch the Dawgs every Saturday in the Fall. I have never been able to see them in person before, until this past weekend.
   We have family friends that live outside of Columbia, South Carolina who invited us down to tailgate for the USC vs. UGA game. This was huge because they are ex USC football players, who tailgate every game in their own fenced off lot with security. Tailgating is not a game in the South, it's an art form. The game was at 3:30 but we had to leave the house by 11:00 to avoid the traffic going to the stadium since it was a home game. I had no idea where we were going or what we were doing, but I was so excited because it was my first time. I was just happy that I could be close. As soon as the car was parked, my parents and I walked over to the fenced area and showed our passes (fancy, right) to get in. Every member has their designated spot to park and set up for the game. A few other people were setting up their tables, chairs, and food. So much food! Our table got loaded down with leftovers from the low country boil and pulled pork that my dad made for the game.
   I'm used to the heat from living in Florida, but it was so damn hot. Normally, I wear a tank top under my UGA jersey because it has small holes in it, but I knew that it would be too hot for a tank top. I made sure to only wear my jersey and a pair of comfortable shorts to try to not be too hot in the sun. I still ended up sweating like crazy.
   The benefit of where the lot was, we were right on a corner of the street going to the stadium and it made for some of the best people watching. If you think I was trying to dress cool, you should have seen some of the outfits these girls were wearing. I am young and only a few years out of college, and even I was questioning their thought processes that morning. It was a sea of leather skirts, tiny shorts, and itty bitty dresses. All of which were so small that if you were just a little too close or the girl moved the wrong way (and they were) you would see everything. I wouldn't even designate the scraps of fabric being worn as actual tops. I saw bandeau bras that should never see the light of day, blouses that were see-through, and it all barely covered them. None of them wore bras, none! Why?! What in the world was going through their minds when you got up that morning that made you think hmm, it is going to be over 100 degrees today and 110 in the stadium. I should where the hottest clothing I own that barely covers me! I never want to see another ass cheek or bandeau in my life after this game.
   One of the people we were tailgating with gave my dad and I their club level tickets to go into the game. I was beyond excited I couldn't stand still. It was so cool to watch UGA come in and play. Being a Dawgs fan at an away game, you are always going to get booed and yelled at. But it didn't matter to me. I wasn't the only one there and had other Dawgs cheering beside me. I was able to see them make two touchdowns before I got overheated. I tried hard to drink as much water and Powerade that I could. I wanted to stay at least until half-time. But the sun had other plans. So we left the game early and called an Uber to take my mom and I to the hotel.
   We drove through the streets watching as so many college students stumbled in and out of the cars and down sidewalks. The sun and alcohol do not mix well. The entire day we heard sirens for people who had to be taken away from alcohol poisoning, heat exhaustion, or injury.
   My parents and I finished the game in the air-conditioned hotel. UGA won 41-17. It was something I will never forget, and most likely never do again when it is that hot. I will go to a UGA game in their stadium when it is cooler. I prefer to watch the game in my own home with air-conditioning blowing right on me.
   Let's go Dawgs! Here's to a great season.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things That Go Bump in The Night

Girls Weekend in Tennessee

The Keto Diet...