Let's Catch up!

   It has been so long since I have written a blog post. I think it was sometime in 2015? Don't quote me on that, I can be a little fuzzy when it comes to dates. Let me fill you in on what has happened in my life the past few years.

   Hello my name is Riane and I am a brain cancer survivor. (insert the chorus of hi Riane here). I have a stage 3 oliogoastrocytoma tumor and have had two surgeries (one was 1/15/14 and two was 12/18/14), chemotherapy, and radiation to get that sucker to stop growing. All while going through college and receiving my Bachelors in Criminal Justice might I add. Now the downfall is I will never be cancer free, or ever truly in remission. During my second surgery, my neurosurgeon had to leave part of the tumor that was on the middle wall of my brain where it was, fearing that if he removed it I would be disabled. I had no issue with his decision since I was out cold and didn't find out about it until after I came fully out of the drugs.
   One day in the future, I will have to be told that the cancer has come back, that I have to go back under for the third time and fight again for my healthy life. Something that terrifies my every time I think about it and go for scans. Cancer is something that doesn't discriminate, choose the best time to show up, or is an easy thing to deal with. I will tell you the truth, cancer is a bitch. It punches you in the face, sucker punches the gut, and knocks you back on your ass, waiting to see if you get back up to fight again. I may wobble a little bit, but I sure as hell will get back up when that fight comes back around. I REFUSE to let my cancer consume me.

   Enough of the depressing part, many happy things have happened in the last few years. Let's focus on the positives, shall we? I graduated in 2015 from college with my Bachelors, something I am very proud of. I worked hard to achieve that goal. I started a full time job in a call center for a automotive group, and learned to never work in a call center! I was on the sales side and was expected to make 100 calls a day, talk to 30 people, and set 10 appointments for them to come into the dealership. All while basically lying to the customer about what we could do for them. Hated the job, and I sucked at it. I left there in the Fall of 2016 and did a few small temp jobs until I was hired at my current company. I currently work as an administrative assistant/trainer/new agent guide/tech guru/meeting organizer for a real estate company and love my job!

   I have to try to adult since I have three dogs, a house, a car, and a yard to help take care of with my boyfriend (4 years going!). We tried renting a house for a year and neither of us were happy with where we were or the rental property, so we bought a older brick ranch with a huge yard for our doggies to run around in. I am sitting on my couch while our youngest, Rawdy, has flopped himself in the armchair using the blanket and pillow to support his head. It's just so hard to be one of our dogs.

   A lot has changed since 2015. I make it a goal to cook healthy and workout 5 times a week. I love going to my gym and classes (Zumba!!!). It makes me feel happy and have a lot more energy throughout the day. I still love to write and I am starting the transition from a full time corporate job to working as a freelance writer. I am at the very beginning, but I it's something I can do and focus on, something that I am passionate about. I am working on a novel and want to have it published one day as well. That is my ultimate dream, to be a published author with my books online and in a store. I have a ways to go.

   I am also trying to be more money conscious. When your young and in college, you don't think about savings or bills. When you are responsible for student loans, keeping the power on, having food in the house, vet bills, and medical bills it becomes a constant thought. The struggle is real! I am learning how to balance my spending as well as shopping for material items the most cost effective way. (a message to college me: You don't always have to buy the shoes!)

   I want to make my blog a priority again. I lost my writing for a while. I was busy and making excuses to lay around the house or constantly saying I will do it tomorrow. I want to improve my skills and focus on not only my personal life, but also things I am trying. I want to paint my house, redo my kitchen, expand my cooking ability, while trying to work full time and have fun.

   Let the good times keep coming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things That Go Bump in The Night

My Life

Girls Weekend in Tennessee